Friday, November 21, 2008

Three Months and Counting

This was the role of my running shoes before I started running again . . . I think they are happier with their purpose in life right now


I honestly can't believe that Denis and I have been living here in Shanghai for three months now. It is a little bit crazy because in some ways, I feel like we have been here forever, but in others, we might as well have just arrived . . . weird, but I guess most things are like that.

It has been gorgeous here lately with temperatures in the mid 50s and brilliant sun. It's good for the soul : ) Before this change in weather happened, we would grasp at anything that could pass for cold . . . it resulted in some sweaty walks. But now, if I forget my gloves in the morning, I feel like all of the water in my hands is freezing and that they will crack apart if they are hit. Brrr.

The first night I was able to don a sweatshirt (but once you leave campus, it is about five degrees warmer, so really I should not have been wearing the sweatshirt)

I also just completed four weeks of my running program. A feat in itself, but what makes me really proud is that, again, my running partner had to ditch me. She is still having plague symptom (so bad that she sucked it up and got Chinese antibiotics). She informed me of this decision the night before, so I knew there was no one to let down if I didn't wake up. My alarm went off at 5:45, and I turned it off and closed my eyes for a few more minutes as I usually do. When I chose to re-open my eyes, it was already 6:02 . . . oops. We are usually walking to the track by then. Here is where the proud comes in: I got out of bed, dressed really quickly, and forced myself to walk out into the cold, frosty morning. And I ran : )

My track . . . though much later in the day than I usually see it (the sunrises have been quite nice recently)

Before we came to China, we had a rather ambitious list of things we wanted to accomplish. We have not been so good at checking off anything from that list. So I figured if I stopped running, I would be pretty pathetic according to the list's standards.

We are starting to work with a Chinese tutor this Sunday. I am excited and hopeful that the results will be good. So that will be number 2 off the list.

I am starting Write or Die with my freshmen, and I am going to have the same page requirements as they will each week, so that will be number 3.

Getting better : )

Okay--have to go work on Thanksgiving plans!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish everyone a Happy Thangs Giving. Hopefully your plans include the Barriale TG recipes. YUMMY!!! Love you

Anonymous said...

Hey keep running! Think victory and you'll get it! Hummmm.....I guess the reverse is true too-gasp! Happy thanksgivingto you- NBW, and Denis.

Anonymous said...

hey bwong! its dan fang/square
so i know this post is from like november but i had to comment on write or die
write or die!
any apocalyptic ones even comparable to mine? jk.
anyway hope you had a merry christmas and have a happy new year
ps are we really going to do pen pals, i think annibal mentioned it