Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cats and Dogs


Speaking of cats, there was this crazy cat fight last night (there are quite a few feral cats roaming the campus). I only heard it once, but Denis said he heard it a couple of times. What an awful noise . . .

Back to the point of the post . . . When it rains in China, it POURS! The day started off hot, sticky, and sunny. Right before we left for lunch, it started raining. Not horrible rain, just rain, rain. When it came time to leave the office for the day, it was apocalyptic rain--doomsday, end-of-the-world, say good-bye rain. We kept waiting and waiting, trying to let it die down a bit, but to no avail.

We weren't so worried about our clothes getting wet as much as our computers, which we take with us to work everyday. I had filched an umbrella from the office earlier in the day (it was huge : ) so I was going to use that, but Denis was on his own. He took off on his bike and went as fast as possible. I got on mine and did my best to stay upright while holding a massive umbrella in one hand (remember, it is huge, and it was quite windy out . . . imagine the Mary Poppins effect with a bicycle added into the mix : ) If you read my earlier post about the bikes, they are not the easiest to handle, especially while holding said massive umbrella and steering with one hand through the Great Lakes that pop up all over campus when it rains! Really, you all would have had a good laugh.

What made it even better was that as soon as I pulled up to our building, the rain was just a little stronger than a drizzle (it had gotten even stronger from the time we walked out of the office to the time we started biking).

Anyway, Denis took the most unflattering picture in the world of me. I asked him if my monkey face was too horrible, and he said no, it was fine . . . I didn't think it was fair to keep this from you, so here it is. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hi

szadigian said...

Hi guys! We miss you! So what's it like teaching in China? How many students do you have? What are you teaching? My class is pretty good, minus the few issues. I can't believe summer is over and it's back to the grindstone. It sucks! Hope to hear from you soon!

Anonymous said...

Nicole nice face....i guess that's the only way you can at least try to look uglier than me! Miss you, keep entertaining!