Talk about freedom . . . they are amazing. We made our way over to the Giant bike store on foot, but we were returning by wheels. Actually, it was pretty funny trying to buy bikes in a language you can't speak. I found my bike (the only girl bike without flowers on it) and went up to the girl and said "Wo xiang buy a bike." Translated: I want to buy a bike. Unfortunately, my vocabulary does not include "to purchase" or "bike" yet. So, after a while, Denis and I were the proud owners of two bikes, baskets, and locks!
(How could
Too bad we had to ride home.
I was deathly afraid of that part . . . I will have Denis take a video of the main road one day so you can see what I mean. Riding your bike in some areas is definitely putting your life into the hands of others. On all roads, there is a huge bike lane, but motorcycles, motorized bikes, rickshaws, regular bikes, and stopped cars all have to share it. I am okay with this set-up, minus the parked cars. Once they show up, you (and the 100 people around you) have to swerve into the road and face the moving cars, buses, and trucks. Aiya!
But we made it, and we love it! It was hard to ride at first. Not only because I haven't ridden a bike since seventh grade, but because there bikes are different. I can't explain how, but the steering and such isn't the same. We practiced around campus a bit (I used the basketball hoops as a slalom course to help me work on my turning :) until we felt confident that we wouldn't make fools of ourselves riding to work on Tuesday.
Then we did the un
After some much deserved rest, we headed over to Gubei. I will unabashedly admit that I love Gubei, foreigner land :)
This is a completely random side story, but it connects, I swear. Okay, so when we were in Japan, store after store was filled with amazing stationary. It was a wonderland of fun office products. So fa
Back to the r
I only at one and a half . . . the other one and a half were for Denis :)
But after gorging ourselves, we went food shopping and found the ONLY box of dryer fabric softener sheets offered in the entire store--at least they smelled good. But it was a fun night. I don't really feel like having the weekend end yet, but at least I finally have our Golden Week trip planned. The Wongs are going to Singapore (and are very excited about it)! I can't wait to speak English to everyone and get to eat lots of lots of delicious food. Okay, I should finish grading my essays now.

7 comments:
ahh
your adventures are yet again so fun to read about. Haha
While not doing my very important LA and Apus homework... I'm reading this.
Anyways... bikes are so fun in china! haha however they are also essential as you probably know by now
Oh by the way, the tracks in china are also awsome. The funny thing is I never see old chinese people or even young ones running on the track... They always walk in circles... forever and ever
Anyways, I hope your having fun there.. and there is some weird new LA teacher in your old room :|
reading "wo xiang buy a bike" just made me laugh. you should have facebooked one of us asians and asked about buy and bike.
Hope you're enjoying the humid chinese weather
My bike is one of the best purchases that I have made . . . the comfortable furniture ranks pretty high, too.
A friend and I have started running regularly at 6 AM, and the only people we ever see are either walking, doing strange calistethic type things, or staring at us . . . no other Chinese people are running : )
Is LA going okay this year? Keep reading . . .
Funny, before you wrote "enjoy the humid Chinese weather," it wasn't really that humid . . . but it seems like every day since has been hot as hell with a heat index at least 8 degrees higher because of that evil humidity . . . oh well.
Yeah, the half phrases get pretty silly. But they help a little (a little . . . I swear)
I can't decide what is more fun, reading the other comments or your blog. I look forward to reading both every day. Keeps me laughing!!! Love you.
I have to go to China to find out what's going on in New Jersey....
I love reading about your adventures... China sounds like a great place... over there do you drive on the right side of the road.. you look great... Love always, Uncle Charlie ; )
Post a Comment