Monday, January 22, 2024

Backlog: The Sleep Defying Days

The days before we left were crazier than I ever imagined. I knew they were going to be bad, but I couldn't even fathom just how insane.

I can't really remember where I left off, but we found out, while we were in London, that the Marshall Program wanted us to mail our passports to West Virginia so that they could mail them to a visa middle man who would take them to the Chinese consulate in NYC and would then mail them back to West Virginia, where Marshall would finally mail them (with spiffy new visas) back to us in Hoboken. Even if we weren't leaving for Japan in, what, 11 days, I would still be totally sketched out by the whole process. But we were leaving the country again, so after a lot of emailing, we finally got Marshall to mail us all of the documents and we went to the Chinese consulate ourselves (it was a five minute walk from Port Authority . . . it couldn't have been easier)

Between the visa fun, packing up our apartment, and saying good-bye to our friends and family, we were extremely busy . . . but the last five days, from Wednesday July 30th to August 3rd, took the cake (the crazy cake).

I wish I had written this story right after it all had happened because it could have been great fodder for a sitcom. It was one thing after another--little things (and huge big things) going wrong to make the situation more and more unbelievable . . . but it was real life . . . and I guess looking back on it, it is pretty funny . . . if it's not happening to you : )

So the night before we had to move out, we were running ALL over the place to find a map of Tokyo, running shoes for me, and other little things we needed (like a badminton set for the part--we seriously had our priorities straight).






No comments: